CPD to use Twitter

Jesse Haden is the new public information officer.

The Columbia Police Department is looking to use Twitter as part of its new public information officer position.

The newly hired PIO, Jesse Haden, said she would like to start using social media, such as Twitter, to communicate with Columbia residents about what the department is doing.

"I'm excited about all of the things I think we can do with this position," Haden said.

Haden said she would use the social networking site to communicate when roads are closed and when other events are happening in the city.

Haden said she would also like to have her main focus be consistency in the news releases the department sends out and to update the CPD Web site. Haden said she would like to make more information available on the Web site for the community.

The PIO is one of the new positions CPD Chief Kenneth Burton has created since taking the position, a CPD news release stated.

The appointment is a lateral move in the department and will not affect the department's budget, said Haden, who began work Monday.

Haden has worked for CPD since 1993 and was working in the Community Services Unit as an Advanced Crime Prevention Specialist before becoming the new PIO.

Her work in the Community Services Unit included implementing the Citizens on Patrol program, educating Columbia citizens about personal crime prevention and serving as the community's contact for commercial crime concerns, the release stated.

In addition to posting information on the department's Web site, Haden will also be responsible for preparing an annual report for the department.