CREAM brings alcohol-infused dessert to Missouri

The product comes in six different flavors.
Whipped Lighting is the world's first alcoholic whipped cream. Several alcohol-awareness groups say the whipped cream should be closely regulated, because they believe the combination of alcohol and sugar is dangerous.  Photo Illustration by Grant Hindsley and Nick Agro

It comes in flavors like raspberry, cherry, orange, caramel, chocolate and vanilla and tastes like the Reddi-Whip you might see on pumpkin pie or other holiday deserts.

And it’s 15 percent alcohol.

Known as “CREAM” and made by an Ohio-based company called Kingfish Spirits, alcohol-infused whipped cream has begun rolling onto liquor and grocery store shelves across Missouri and several other states.

Public health officials and alcohol regulators in Missouri haven’t said whether the new product would face increased regulation or outright bans like the alcoholic energy drink Four Loko, but alcohol-awareness groups say the combination of a popular dessert with alcohol could make it more dangerous for young drinkers, who they say would use it in already-chaotic settings, such as at a party or in tandem with alcoholic beverages.

Karen Farris, coordinator of the Missouri chapter of Students Against Destructive Decisions, said alcohol companies are using the same methods they did with Four Loko to market to younger drinkers by mixing alcohol with other sweet ingredients that mask the liquor’s taste.

“It’s obvious they’re marketing toward youth,” she said. “Do you really think they sell this whipped cream to adults?”

Farris said these combinations could increase the dangers associated with drinking, because consumers would not be able to taste the alcohol. This would make them unaware they were ingesting it until they intoxicated, leading them to drink more than they normally would.

“Our view is that it’s riskier because it’s sweet, and it’s fun,” she said. “It’s kind of scary when you add alcohol to the process. Our stance is that they should quit trying to make these kinds of drinks appealing to young drinkers.”

James Copple, president of the Washington D.C.-based International Institute for Alcohol Awareness, concurred with Farris. He said the product poses several dangers and could become popular because of its mixture, even though it is relatively new to the market.

“Absolutely it makes it dangerous,” he said. “You can’t tell how much alcohol is in the drink as a whole, and we know that sugar enhances the speed of alcohol absorption.”

Kingfish Spirits did not returned repeated requests for comment by press time.