Domestic violence leads to car being set on fire

The fire department says incidents like this are not unusual.
Firefighters extinguish a vehicle fire Wednesday night at the Georgetown Complex Apartments on Towne Drive. Investigators believe the vehicle was intentionally set on fire during a domestic dispute.

Police say a man set a car on fire during a domestic dispute Wednesday night at 1548 Towne Drive.

Firefighters were called to Georgetown Complex Apartments at 10:48 p.m. and found one vehicle fully engulfed in flames, a Columbia Fire Department news release stated.

CFD Battalion Chief Steven Sapp said the department is not releasing how the fire was set.

The vehicle is considered a total loss, but no other structures or vehicles were damaged during the fire and there were no injuries, the news release stated.

Sapp said the fire appeared to be part of a domestic incident. He said incidents like this are not uncommon.

"It is not uncommon in domestic violence issues for fire play to occur," Sapp said.

Witnesses at the scene identified the man to police and fire department investigators and after further investigation they learned the vehicle owner had been a victim of domestic violence. The suspect had previously threatened the victim, the news release stated.

The man told the victim he was going to damage her personal property before setting her car on fire, the release stated

The Columbia Police Department has taken the man into custody in connection with the fire and is interviewing him.

The fire department is compiling reports to send to the prosecutor's office about the incident. From there the prosecutor will decide whether to pursue the case, Sapp said.