Downtown Taser incident unresolved

Police used a Taser on an uncooperative suspect during a November incident.

The man involved in a Taser incident at the Subway on Ninth Street has not yet been charged with a crime.

Columbia police officers responded to the call at about 8:20 a.m. Nov. 16.

The manager of the Starbucks on 30 S. Ninth St. called police a little after 8 a.m. complaining that a man was refusing to leave the store's property.

As officers were driving to the Starbucks, they saw the suspect walking down the street, but weren't sure if it was the right man. The officers first went to the Starbucks to make sure the suspect wasn't still there and when they found he wasn't, they continued their search.

They later found him at Subway, CPD spokeswoman Jill Wieneke said.

Officers attempted to handcuff the suspect and he resisted. Wieneke said the officers then used Taser deployment to subdue him.

"They had a pretty intense struggle with him," Wieneke said. "In fact, one of the officers called for emergency assistance."

It took four people to handcuff the man; two Columbia police officers and two from the MU Police Department because they arrived soon after finding out the officers needed help.

"The Taser was deployed and had the desired effect," Wieneke said. Deployment is when the probes of the Taser are actually shot.

The suspect was not arrested at the time because he was taken to the hospital for a medical condition that was unrelated to the altercation with police.

"No arrest has been made and no charges have been filed at this time," Wieneke said.