Four people arrested for related disturbances

Two related disturbances resulted in four arrests and one injured person.
Amy Oslica / Graphic Designer

About 30 people were involved in a disturbance in the area of Allen Street and LaSalle Place on April 14, a Columbia Police Department news release stated.

“This is not uncommon in this neighborhood at this time of year,” CPD Sgt. Ken Hammond said.

Officers found an unconscious 20-year-old male lying on LaSalle Place near Allen Street when they arrived. The victim told police he was struck on the head with a bottle from behind as he was walking down the street. Officers did not find anyone who witnessed the assault, stated the news release.

The case is considered open but inactive due to a lack of cooperation from the victim.

There was another fight at Park Avenue and Providence Road following the disturbance at Allen Street and LaSalle Place. This was a continuation of the first disturbance, Hammond said.

“Several individual groups just move throughout the neighborhood and get into fights,” Hammond said.

Four people were arrested during the disturbance at Park Avenue and Providence Road.

Zachary O. Lambert, 20, was arrested on suspicion of third-degree assault and resisting or interfering with arrest. Avery Nelson, 17, Tevin Nelson, 17, and Eddie L. Hollis, 18, were arrested on suspicion of assault.

Police do not consider this a gang fight.

“There is nothing indicating a gang fight,” Hammond said, “There is no indication of gang colors or gang signs.”

These disturbances are common during this time of year, Hammond said.

“Unfortunately we see this almost every weekend throughout the spring and summer months,” Hammond said.

The victim in the first disturbance was taken to a University Hospital emergency room for treatment for injuries to his face and head. He was treated and released.