Lee Street Deli considers changing late night hours

LSD has left many incidents unreported but is beginning to take action.

The Lee Street Deli discussed the possibility of canceling late night hours due to a variety of crimes inconveniencing the restaurant.

On Friday, a post on the deli's Twitter account announced the cancellation of the late-night hours. "No late night tonight because our clientele can't keep from vandalizing and stealing,” the tweet stated.

According to LSD's website, the late-night hours are between 1 a.m. and 3 a.m. Friday and Saturday. The deli, established in 1927, is located in East Campus on the corner of Lee Street and Wilson Avenue.

In one case, a wooden sign was removed from a post outside the restaurant, the newspaper rack was stolen and the screen door was punched out, LSD employee David Hornig said.

An incident occurred at 3 a.m. April 9 and was reported as a larceny, Columbia Police Department spokeswoman Jessie Haden said. When responding officers exited the patrol car, the suspect took off running. Haden said the sign was probably stolen because it read "LSD."

"When we exited the patrol car, the person took off running, so they were up to no good," Haden said. "There were five screws that were removed form the Lee Street Deli metal sign."

Haden said incidences have been occurring at the Deli but aside from the larceny, no one has reported them to CPD.

"We really want to encourage them to call us, because we won't know to help keep an eye on things unless (we know) things are going on," she said. "We don't want people to change their business hours."

Hornig said he didn't know exactly what had been decided about the restaurant's late-night hours as of Monday evening.

"I don't know what she (the manager) has decided yet," he said. "I know she said if it keeps going like that we just won't have late night but we will be opened during the days."

In a Monday tweet, LSD announced the return of late night hours starting this weekend, stating, "We've decided not let isolated incidents ruin the fun for others."