Column: Liberals make me laugh

Senators made a shocking decision concerning a health care "bill."

Depending on my mood, encountering liberals and their views can sometimes frustrate me, but more often than not, I find myself laughing.

The perfect example is found in the health care debate. On the eve of the Senate Finance Committee's vote on the health care plan of Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., there was a Residence Halls Association forum on campus where each side presented its case.

What became clear from the debate is each side is set in its position. As blindly as many liberals have followed President Barack Obama, it should be no surprise such a faulty plan would find such strong support.

On Tuesday, the Senate Finance Committee voted 14-9 in favor of its version of health care reform. The mind-numbing thing isn't how these Democrats (along with pseudo-Republican Olympia Snowe) voted for committee chairman Baucus' plan, but rather that there is no bill for them to vote on.

Read that again. Fourteen senators voted in favor of concepts they assume would be put into a bill. Right now though, the only version of the bill available is a document called the chairman's mark, which is a draft with Baucus' revisions.

One of the major points Democrats touted in the plan was $81 billion they said would be cut from the deficit in 10 years, but the Congressional Budget Office report said differently.

"CBO and (the Joint Committee on Taxation's) analysis is preliminary in large part because the chairman's mark, as amended, has not yet been embodied in legislative language," the report stated.

What does this mean? Simply put, no official legislation exists to base that estimate on. The CBO report also makes a point to note, "Those estimates are all subject to substantial uncertainty."

It's tough to be a bigger Kool-Aid drinker than a Democrat voting for a health care overhaul without having an actual bill to examine.

When discussing the health care issue, Rep. Alan Grayson, D-Fla., made a complete fool of himself by making placards for a speech on the house floor. One of these placards stated the Republicans' version of health care was to "die quickly."

Think of any Republican you know. Now ask yourself if you really believe those people want people to "die quickly" to save the government money.

If you said "yes," go to a psychiatrist right now.

In Missouri, Democratic Secretary of State Robin Carnahan is tied with Rep. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., in recent 2010 Senate election polls after having a double-digit lead earlier this year.

Besides her refusal to publicly comment on anything, the discovery of her close ties to the liberal criminal organization Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now is not helping her cause.

I can only sit back and laugh when I see e-mails from ACORN workers to Carnahan calling working with her a "great team effort."

It seems curious the state's chief election official has never criticized ACORN despite all the trouble it has gotten into. It's enough of a problem for Missouri's Republican State Committee to take the time and energy — not to mention the money — to create the Web site www.acorncarnahan.com to bring these facts to light.

Liberal Democrats have total power in Washington and hold much of the power in Missouri. Yet, their plans have failed, and Republicans need only to stand out of the way as the liberals self-destruct. As for me, I'll stand there and laugh at them.

Eric Hobbs is a senior and vice chairman of the MU College Republicans. He can be reached at emhn75@mail.missouri.edu.