Man attempts rape in Prathersville area

Eric E. Williams’ bond is set at $25,000 cash.
Amy Oslica / Graphic Designer

A Columbia man was arrested on suspicion of attempted rape Saturday night in the Prathersville area. A female victim in her early 20s called 911 to report a male she knew had attacked her in her home, a Boone County Sheriff’s Department news release stated.

“The suspect lived in the same area as the victim,” Boone County Sheriff’s Department Maj. Tom Reddin said.

The victim told police her attacker offered her drugs in exchange for sex. When she refused, he struck her and attempted to remove her clothing, the news release stated.

Eric E. Williams, 36, was arrested at his residence soon after.

“The victim told police where he was and he was arrested probably within the hour,” Reddin said.

During their investigation, police recovered marijuana, drug paraphernalia and evidence of the attack, the news release stated.

Williams was charged with third-degree assault, attempted forcible rape and unlawful use of drug paraphernalia, Missouri court documents stated.

His bond is set at $25,000 cash only, and he is not allowed any contact with the victim.

In 2006, there were six reported rapes in Boone County and in 2005 there were five. These numbers are down from eight reported rapes in 2004, the Boone County Sheriff’s Department Web site stated.

“This is a pretty steady trend,” Reddin said.

Two rapes were cleared —meaning the case was solved — in 2006, and three rapes were cleared in 2005. Five out of the eight rapes in 2004 were cleared.