Man shoots sister in face with BB gun

A 17-year-old girl was shot with a BB gun during a family argument.

Twenty-year-old David J. Glispie got into an argument with his 17-year-old sister and proceeded to go into another room, bring out a BB gun and shoot his sister in the eyebrow Oct. 22.

"It was on the 22nd," Columbia Police Department spokeswoman Jessie Haden said. "It was about 2:30 in the afternoon. Officers got called to 304 Sexton Road for a disturbance."

The argument was only verbal until Glispie knocked some tobacco on the floor. Then the argument escalated, and Glispie went into the other room to retrieve the gun.

"She was sitting on the couch," Haden said. "Her brother came up and pointed the gun directly at her. She started to turn her head, and he shot. It hit her in the eyebrow area, on the right side of her face."

Medics had been called to respond the scene. Police said there was a small red mark and swelling on the victim's face when they arrived.

The victim told police Glispie left the residence after he shot her, and she closed and locked the door.

"He returned and realized he was locked out and began to tear up the door, door frame and storm door," Haden said. "At the rear of the residence he smashed two windows inside the house."

Afterward, Glispie began arguing with his mother.

"He then got into an argument with his mother, who was there," Haden said. "He picked up a box fan and threw it at his mother, and it struck her on the ankle."

Glispie again left the residence and police arrived on the scene. Haden said police asked the mother about pressing charges and provided her with the standard information for domestic disturbances.

Glispie returned to the scene again when the police were there and was arrested.

"He was arrested without incident," Haden said. "He was advised of his Miranda warning. He admitted he did it. He was processed at the police department and taken to jail. He's still incarcerated at this time."

Haden said bond is set at $4,500 apiece for charges of second-degree assault and property damage and $1,000 for third-degree assault.

"He still is without bond being set on the armed criminal action, probably because he hasn't been to court yet," Haden said.

Haden said police are just glad the injury wasn't more serious.

"Thankfully, she had the wherewithal that he wasn't just threatening," she said. "We're thankful that there didn't appear to be any serious injury."