UPDATED: Missouri takes its turn at the polls, race too close to be called

Sen. Bernie Sanders announced Thursday he wouldn’t call for a recount.
Donald Trump speaks to his supporters during his rally in St. Louis. One of Trump’s biggest points on the afternoon was his connection to his supporters. “See, this doesn’t get talked about in the press, the love that’s in this room,” he said.

Polls opened at 6 a.m. in Columbia for the 2016 presidential primary election, and students and residents showed up at locations around the city to cast their ballots.

COMO Connect provided free rides for the day. Voters didn’t report any lines at polling locations.

The day’s primary was a significant one, as runner-up candidates Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vermont, and Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, struggled to stay viable against former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and businessman Donald Trump, who are both leading in the delegate race. The Missouri primaries were too close to call, with Clinton and Trump each leading by less than 2,000 votes with 100 percent of precincts reporting, per the Missouri Secretary of State’s website.

Sanders told the Associated Press Thursday he would not be requesting a recount in Missouri.

Ultimately, Boone County voted for Sanders (61 percent to Clinton’s 39) and Cruz (44 percent to Trump’s 31).

Columbia voters also passed Proposition 1, which bans the city from considering implementing roll carts for at least six months.

Many of MU’s student organizations spoke out to encourage students to vote in the primary election.

Voters expressed many opinions and observations at the polls. Here are a collection of quotes from the day’s interviews:

Morgan Griffin: “There were a lot of people voting, but there wasn’t a line to sit down or anything. Yeah, I guess there were a lot of students (in the polling location).”

Kyra McArthur: “(I’m voting in the primary) to save the country from Trump. I think that there are a lot of issues with this election, and people really need to get out there and change stuff.”

Emma Bryant: “I’m definitely here for the social issues because I feel like there’s racism, xenophobia, sexism, I mean, you name it, there’s a whole bunch of shit going down. I think that this reflects our country’s past, and I feel like we need to stop it before we repeat the cycle of racism in America, so that’s mainly why I’m here.”

Anna Huffman: (On rolling trash bins, which were banned under Proposition 1 on the same ballot) “Yeah, sure, why not. That seems fine. That seems absolutely not ridiculous at all.”

Nick Boyd: “I feel like if you want to complain about anything that’s going wrong in the country, you have to be participating in the government in order to have a right to complain when stuff is going wrong.”

Kyra Haas contributed to this report.