MU student dies in car crash

The blue 1999 Chevrolet Camaro was severed in half by a utility pole and then landed on its top.

A vehicle crash took the life of MU freshman Elizabeth Upton early Sunday morning.

Twenty-seven-year-old Bradley Gilman from Fulton was driving a blue 1999 Chevrolet Camaro on Creasy Springs Road and Prairieview Drive while Upton was a passenger in the vehicle, according to a Columbia Police Department news release.

Around 12:30 a.m., the vehicle slammed into a concrete curb, slid sideways off the road and collided with a ditch, the release stated. The vehicle was then airborne until it was severed in half by a utility pole. It then rolled over multiple times, finally landing on its top off the roadway in a line of trees.

Gilman was not wearing a seatbelt and was ejected during the crash. He is currently being treated for life-threatening injuries. MU Hospital officials said Gilman is in critical condition. Upton was wearing a seatbelt and was pronounced dead at the scene as a result of her injuries.

Officers are investigating whether excessive speed or alcohol and drugs were factors in the crash.

CPD is continuing to investigate the crash.

Follow The Maneater for updates on the investigation.