Phi Kappa Theta vandalized

Most of the damage was done with a fire extinguisher.
Spencer Pearson / Graphic Designer

Police are continuing to investigate a vandalism incident at the Phi Kappa Theta fraternity house that occurred Sept. 26.

The incident left extensive damage to a single room of the house. Columbia Police Department spokeswoman Jessie Haden said the suspect came to the fraternity looking for an individual resident.

"The suspect entered the fraternity looking for a particular resident," Haden said. "He was not there, and she was seeing heading toward his room."

Haden said the suspect proceeded to vandalize the victim's room with a fire extinguisher, damaging electronics and other belongings.

"The fire extinguisher was removed from the wall and sprayed all over the room and its contents, damaging and possibly ruining them," Haden said. "The flat-screen monitor was damaged, and there was a considerable amount of damage to clothing, bedding of both roommates, gaming systems and more."

CPD is continuing to look into the situation, but the identification of the suspect has been discovered, Haden said.

"We have done more follow-up by interviewing witnesses, but we do have the suspect's information and will proceed with this case," Haden said.

Haden said the motive was not directed at the Phi Kappa Theta fraternity.

"Nothing else in the fraternity was bothered," Haden said. "This was directed at one of the roommates."

In a later interview, CPD Spokeswoman Jill Wieneke said no action has been taken to make an arrest of the suspect.

"As it stands now, CPD has not gone forward with making an arrest or requesting a warrant," Wieneke said. "We're thinking that action will be taken by the end of this week, but no concrete plans have been made."