Police arrest Missouri S&T campus gunman

The suspect, identifed as Cody Nathaniel Willcoxon, shot at law enforcement officers.
A photo of the suspect, Cody Nathaniel Willcoxon, who has been taken into police custody. Courtesy of Oklahoma Department of Corrections

Police arrested a suspect after he shot at officers with an AK-47 near the I-44 and stopped at the Missouri University of Science and Technology, a Rolla Police Department news release stated.

The school was on lock-down for more than four hours because of the incident, a report from Missouri S&T stated.

Suspect Cody Nathaniel Willcoxon was taken into custody at approximately 1 p.m. Thursday.

Willcoxon was seen at 8:36 a.m. at the Fort Leonard Wood entrance gate with an AK-47. FLW Military Police questioned the suspect, who fled at the scene and was pursued by members of the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department and St. Robert Police Department, the news release stated.

“The suspect then began to shoot at the pursuing officers, and he headed east on I-44,” the news release stated.

During this time, Willcoxson received a gunshot wound to the arm.

"An officer shot at him and he shot back," Rolla Police Department Captain Jason Smith said.

The suspect continued shooting at the law enforcement officers, who pursued him.

At about 8:55 a.m., the suspect arrived at the Missouri S&T campus, where he stopped near McNutt Hall, which houses classrooms, offices and laboratories.

According to the news release, the suspect fled from his vehicle on foot with a long rifle. Law enforcement officers established a perimeter around the building. The suspect left campus at 9:10 a.m., a report from Missouri S&T stated.

Drug related items, including crystal meth, were found in the suspect's car, reports from the Rolla Police Department stated.

The suspect later broke into an occupied residence at Crinoidal Court, where he demanded keys to the resident’s car, identified as a charcoal gray Ford Taurus, and stole it.

"He stole a car, and we got information from a good Samaritan that they thought they saw the car on 63 south," Smith said. "The Missouri State Highway Patrol made a traffic stop, and he gave up."

No one else was harmed during the incident, and police issued an all-clear on the Missouri S&T campus.

Share: Facebook / Twitter / Google+

Article comments


This item does not have any approved comments yet.

Post a comment

Please provide a full name for all comments. We don't post obscene, offensive or pure hate speech.