Police make arrest in homicide

Antoine J. Harris

Police made an arrest this morning in connection with a late-night shooting at a northeast Columbia apartment complex.

Officers responded to 2707 Quail Drive after a report of shots fired at 10:54 p.m., according to a Columbia Police Department news release. Officers on the scene found a man in his early thirties outside the apartment complex dead from a gunshot wound.

Police identified the deceased victim as Antonio Flores-Ramirez, a citizen of Mexico.

A second victim, a Hispanic male in his early twenties, was located in an apartment within the complex with an apparent gunshot wound to his chest. The second victim was transported to an area hospital for treatment and has not yet been identified by police.

Witnesses saw two men leaving the scene of the shooting in a blue and silver sport utility vehicle, according to police. Columbia investigators and Fulton police stopped that vehicle at about 5 a.m. on Route F near US 54. The occupants of the vehicle were taken into custody and transported to the Columbia Police Department, the news release stated.

Antoine Harris, a passenger in the vehicle, was arrested in connection with the shootings. During an interview following his arrest, Harris confessed to the crime, police said.

Harris was arrested on suspicion of second-degree murder, first-degree assault, first-degree robbery and armed criminal action.

Police said the motive for the homicide appears to be drug-related, and that the victims were not chosen at random.

Investigators expect to arrest more people in connection with the shootings, according to the release.