Prop B, Senate races draw students to polls

Several also voted for urban tax measures.
A sign identifying a polling place sits in front of the Missouri Cattle Industry Headquarters on Bluff Creek Drive on Tuesday in Columbia. Congressman Roy Blunt, R-Mo., was elected senator to replace Sen. Kit Bond, R-Mo., during the midterm election.

Among several students interviewed after voting Tuesday, the most important issues on the ballot were Proposition B, a measure to regulate puppy farms, the U.S. Senate election and tax-related ballot measures.

“I feel empowered to vote,” freshman Kat Seal said. “It’s important for college kids to vote because we are the constituents of Columbia, so if we want our voices heard, if we want to be radical and make a difference, we need to show the representatives that we are voting and that we do care.”

Six students at polling locations near campus said puppy mills were one of the most important issues on Tuesday’s ballot. The statewide measure narrowly passed, with 51.6 percent of Missouri voters supporting the measure. Only 44 percent of Boone County voters cast ballots supporting the measure.

“I agree that there should be more focus on those that are breeding dogs, and there should be more restrictions on them,” senior Shajuanda Campbell said.

Junior Jennifer Hawkins shared Campbell’s sentiment.

“The only one that pretty much caught my attention was the one about the animals,” she said. "I feel like it’s really important that animals get adequate food, water and shelter.”

Not all students believed voters should have approved Proposition B. Columbia resident Ashleigh Voellinger said she didn’t vote for Proposition B because she heard that it was going to be used as a stepping stone to regulate other agricultural issues.

As a participant in rodeo events, Voellinger said she was worried how Proposition B would affect competitions in the future.

Columbia resident Steven Young said the U.S. Senate race, Proposition B and municipal tax amendments were all important aspects of why he voted.

“I voted against Prop B because I don’t think we need more government regulating all the aspects of business, and I voted against the municipal tax increase because I don’t think right now is the time to be raising taxes on anyone,” Young said.

Freshman Travis McCartney, a political science major, said balancing out Congress and securing enough money for the government through taxes were two of the reasons he voted Tuesday.

“We’re not going to get our country out of debt if we keep cutting taxes,” McCartney said. “If the government has no money, then essentially we have no money either.”

In the Senate race, Democrat Robin Carnahan vied against Republican Roy Blunt, Libertarian Jonathan Dine and Constitution Party candidate Jerry Beck. Blunt won the seat with 54 percent of the statewide vote, some 14 percent more than Carnahan managed.

McCartney said he voted for Carnahan because of the things she has done well as Secretary of State.

Young said he too voted mainly because of the Senate election.

“Obviously the Senate race was probably most important,” Young said. “I really loathe and despise both major candidates for Senate. I voted Libertarian.”