Proposed student housing plan would take over Quinton’s Bar and Deli

The proposed structure dubbed “Rise Apartments” would be dedicated primarily to student housing with parking and retail spaces.

A man sits alone in Quinton's Deli and Bar while watching the college basketball game from behind the counter Feb. 9.

A 10-story student housing project was proposed in Columbia despite a dip in student applications for the fall 2016 semester.

The housing complex would be erected on Ninth and Locust streets and take over the property of Quinton’s Bar and Deli and Britches clothing store along with the empty space where restaurant Mackenzie’s Prime used to be located.

MU saw a decrease of 941 applications for the upcoming fall 2016 semester, prompting the Department of Residential Life to make housing changes that include closing Tiger Reserve and creating more on-campus housing options for upperclassmen, according to Jan. 31 Maneater reporting.

Still, Fields Holdings LLC wants to go through with this large-scale development proposal, Rise Apartments. The complex would be primarily student living, although Development Services Manager Patrick Zenner said the first floor would include retail spaces and on-site parking.

Zenner said no architectural or building plans have been submitted for consideration, and in order for the complex to be constructed, a zoning review would have to be performed. He also said a building permit has not yet been issued.

“Associated with the issuance of a building permit there may be additional permits required for activities such as demolition of existing structures, temporary closure of sidewalks/streets, and/or vacation/relocation of public utilities,” Zenner said in an email. “These actions required participation by multiple city departments and in the instance of temporary closures or vacation requests the City Council.”

This plan is one of several student housing complexes proposed by developers to be built in downtown Columbia, despite a brief lapse of submitted plans in 2015.

In 2012, St. Louis development firm Collegiate Housing Partners proposed to demolish the Niedermeyer apartment buildings, one of the oldest buildings in Columbia, according to previous Maneater reporting.

The firm planned on demolishing the structure in favor of building the tallest building in Columbia. The proposed 15-story student housing structure would be the first project of that kind undertaken by the company.

However, the Niedermeyer apartment building’s fate was secured after a private buyer purchased the building in 2013.

In May 2015, city council rejected a firm’s proposal to construct a large-scale luxury student housing complex near Highway 63 and Stadium Boulevard, according to KBIA.

Second Ward Councilman Mike Trapp said the developer’s plan reaching fruition is a possibility because it meets zoning requirements.

“Council would have little to no say needing only to approve street or sidewalk closures for construction and/or demolition,” Trapp said in an email. “The developer met with some council members and discussed the proposal verbally including myself.”

Fifth Ward Councilwoman Laura Nauser said the project would be out of city council jurisdiction.

“With the exception of approving a replat of the property as the building site consists of several individual lots and they will need to be combined into one,” Nauser said in an email. “This is an administrative action so the council does not have much, if any, discretion.”

Follow The Maneater for updates on this proposal.

Edited by Hailey Stolze | hstolze@themaneater.com