Scott Walker drops bid for presidency

Walker became the second Republican to drop out of the race on Sept. 21 after he fell to the bottom of the CNN/ORC poll with less than 1 percentage of support from likely Republican voters.

After plunging to the bottom of the CNN/ORC poll of Republican candidates, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker is dropping his bid for president.

As recently as July, Walker lead Republican contenders in Iowa with 22 percent of support in a Monmouth University poll of likely GOP voters in the state. He held 5 percent support before the second GOP debate, where he was criticized for his performance after coming out eager but quickly fading into the background.

On Sept. 21, CNN announced that Walker had less than 1 percent of support from likely GOP voters in the nation, according to the CNN/ORC poll. Walker held a press conference at 5 p.m. on the same day to announce his withdrawal.

“I believe that I am being called to lead by helping to clear the field,” Walker said at the press conference. “I encourage other Republican presidential candidates to consider doing the same so that the voters can focus on a limited number of candidates who can offer a positive, conservative alternative to the current front-runner.”

Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry was the first GOP hopeful to leave the race on Sept. 11. Both Perry and Walker indirectly expressed dismay at the current frontrunner Donald Trump in their announcements.

Walker was hailed at the beginning of the race for his anti-union stance and being the only U.S. governor to have survived a recall election.

Trump still leads the polls with 24 percent support, while Carly Fiorina is catching up with 15 percent support. Ben Carson stands behind her at 14 percent.