UPDATED: Park pleads guilty for Yik Yak threats

Suspect arrested for Yik Yak threats Hunter M. Park is a 19-year-old student at Missouri Science and Technology.

UPDATE: Hunter Park has pleaded guilty on April 18, according to online court documents. Sentencing will be June 16.

UPDATE: Boone County Judge Kimberly Shaw denied a bond request from Hunter Park’s lawyer Jeffrey Hilbrenner on the grounds that Park is a danger to the community, according to online court documents. Park has been charged with a class C felony for making a terrorist threat.

Hunter M. Park, a 19-year-old Missouri University of Science and Technology student in Rolla, was arrested for allegedly posting threats to MU students and faculty on Yik Yak, an anonymous social media site. Park’s arrest was announced via email by the MU Police Department to students at 6:04 a.m.

Park was arrested at 1:50 a.m. inside the Thomas Jefferson Residence Hall in Rolla and is being held on $4,500 bond at Boone County Jail in Columbia, according an Associated Press article. Missouri S&T police reported that no weapons were found.

Tuesday night, threats to students surfaced on Yik Yak.

“Some of you are alright,” one post said. “Don’t go to campus tomorrow.”

Another “yak” said, “I’m going to stand my ground tomorrow and shoot every black person I see.”

It is unclear which posts on the app came from Park. MUPD Maj. Brian Weimer has not yet responded to The Maneater when reached for comment.

Yik Yak released a statement Wednesday morning written by co-founder and chief operating officer Brooks Buffington.

“Let’s not waste any words here: This sort of misbehavior is NOT what Yik Yak is to be used for. Period,” the letter said. “It is not condoned by Yik Yak, and it violates our Terms of Service.”

MU did not cancel school Wednesday. However, individual professors either called off class or allowed students to be absent.

As the threats spread Tuesday night, rumors swirled on social media about MU. There were reports of the Ku Klux Klan being on campus, but these rumors were proved false.

UPDATE: Two more suspects were arrested for threats made on Yik Yak.

Connor Stottlemyre, a Northwest Missouri State student, was arrested on Nov. 11 for threats made on the anonymous social media app that appeared to be directed towards his own campus.

St. Louis native Tyler Bradenberg, a 19 year old, was also arrested for making a threat. Bradenberg’s Yik Yak post appeared to target Missouri University of Science and Technology.

The Maneater will update this story as more information is collected.

GET SOCIAL