Suspect in downtown theft arrested

The suspect was going through the stolen purse when police arrived, police say.

Police officers responded to Shakespeare's Pizza during the weekend after a customer reported that someone stole her purse while she was at the restaurant. Andrew Bramman was arrested in connection with the Dec. 4 incident.

Two officers responded to the restaurant on S. Ninth Street at about 1 a.m. on Saturday, Columbia Police Department spokeswoman Jill Wieneke said.

"The female victim was able to identify the man and told officers that she believed Bramman stole the purse," she said.

The police officers arrested Bramman at the restaurant within 10 minutes of their arrival, she said. The officers then reviewed the surveillance videos. The police saw a suspect steal the customer's purse at about 12:40 a.m.

"They were able to watch him walk by the table and take the purse," Wieneke said.

While watching the surveillance video, the officers also saw someone going through the victim's purse in the outdoor patio area of the restaurant.

The police returned the purse to the victim, but she noticed there were confidential documents and property missing from the purse. Shakespeare's Pizza staff members later found the victim's documents after the store closed down, but some property is still missing.

"The police couldn't find the other property," Wieneke said.

The police report doesn't say where in Shakespeare's Pizza the purse was stolen.

After the police reviewed the footage and confirmed the crime, Andrew Bramman was charged with misdemeanor theft. He was released from Boone County Jail on a $500 bond.