Top 5 technology fails

Five times technology backfired for MU students and administration.

1. Yik Yak threats

After the resignations on Nov. 9, MU made national news thanks to Yik Yak. Several threats against MU appeared on the app, resulting in widespread panic. At some point, misinformation about the Ku Klux Klan being on campus spread and was only heightened by then-Missouri Students Association President Payton Head confirming the false rumor in a Facebook post. Lesson learned: Police can track your IP address. Also, you probably shouldn’t post that the KKK is nearby unless you’re 500 percent certain. And then check again.

2. The vulgar email

Sophomore Edward Lowther sent a rather disturbing email to members of his fraternity, Alpha Gamma Rho, after finding out their Greek Week pairing. Lowther’s message told his brothers they’d get to “stick our arrows straight up their tight little asses.” Lowther apologized after screenshots of the email circulated on social media. Lesson learned: You don’t need me to tell you.

3. Mauk video

A night out contributed to the end of former quarterback Maty Mauk’s football career. After two suspensions, a video of a man who appeared to be Mauk snorting cocaine went viral on Twitter. He was dismissed a few days later for failing to live up to program expectations.
Lesson learned: If you’re going to do drugs, make sure no one’s filming.

4. MSA GroupMe messages

The campaign infractions of MSA President-elect Haden Gomez and running mate Chris Hanner came to light just three days before for their inauguration. The two were exposed by their campaign manager via screenshots of GroupMe messages. Lesson learned: If you’re going to cheat in a campaign, make sure to delete any electronic records.

5. Wolfe's letter

In a leaked “confidential” email, former UM System President Tim Wolfe gave the most frank (and whiny) description of MU thus far. In the five-page email, Wolfe called out former Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin for, as Wolfe claims, shifting the attention of the protesters to him, and Sen. Kurt Schaefer, R-Columbia, for politically pressuring administration. Oh, and he finally admits he made a mistake! The mistake? Hiring Loftin and trusting the Board of Curators. Tell us how you really feel, Wolfe. Lesson learned: Just because you say something’s “confidential” doesn’t mean people will listen.