Victim threatened with handsaw during assault

Ryan White was charged with armed criminal action.

A Columbia man was arrested on suspicion of holding a handsaw up to his ex-girlfriend's throat and assaulting her multiple times.

The suspect, 24-year-old Ryan D. White of Columbia, was taken into custody on Dec. 2 on charges of felonious restraint, armed criminal action and two counts of assault.

Columbia Police Department spokeswoman Jill Wieneke said White entered the apartment of the victim, 33, at 2707 Quail Drive. White, who fathered a child with the victim, became enraged during an argument.

According to the police report, White told the victim it was time for her to take a nap. She knew this meant he was going to choke her to the point of unconsciousness, which she said he had done before.

White proceeded to grab the victim from behind, wrapping his arm around her neck and choking her to the point where she almost fainted.

The argument continued as the victim went into her bedroom and White followed her. The report said White threw her to the floor several times, causing her to hit her head.

According to the report, White retrieved a handsaw from another room and held it to the victim's throat.

CPD officers received the call around 11:30 a.m. that day and located him later at 4360 Santa Barbara Drive.

"The victim was seen by medics at the scene, but did not want to be transported to the hospital," Wieneke said in an e-mail.

The victim said that she begged White not to kill her. When she tried to call 911, White took her cell phone and removed the battery. Later, he blocked the door of her apartment with his body so she could not escape.

White remains in the Boone County Jail.