Top 5 times I was embarrassed to go here

1. Todd Akin's 'legitimate rape'

When Rep. Todd Akin, R-Mo. suggested in September 2012 that women couldn’t get pregnant from “legitimate rape,” I legitimately wanted to jump off the Cliffs of Moher. I was studying in Ireland last semester, but as Akin's comments made their way across the Atlantic, I was embarrassed to be on exchange from the state of Missouri’s university.

2. Ignorant tweets

After learning a lot during J2000 my sophomore year, I was embarrassed to go here when I saw this tweet, which was posted by a journalism student during Cross-Cultural Journalism this semester:

“Seriously guys. I'm going to be selling corn to white farmers. I dont need a culture reporting class."

and this one:

"I hate J2000. Raise your hand if you dont really give a damn about minorities. #SorryImNotSorry #JSchoolProblems"

Pretty sure there is a #problem with this tweet, and it’s not your lecture on social stratification, poverty and class lines.

3. #FreeMichaelDixon

The week where I couldn’t go on Twitter for fear of seeing another variation of the “Free Michael Dixon” hashtag on my feed, I was embarrassed to call myself a Tiger for fear of being assumed bigot by association. I quickly regained my black and gold spirit after advocates for sexual awareness responded by calling reckless tweeters out across several platforms.

4. Missouri and gun laws

The time that the Missouri House of Representatives passed legislation just a few weeks ago that guarantees the protection of Missouri’s right to bear arms (regardless of federal law) was a bummer. Rumors of state cession started, which were embarrassing because seriously what’s not embarrassing about that.

5. The BearCat

The time the City Council approved the purchase of a $200,000 armored vehicle for the Columbia Police Department, I was embarrassed to live here. Not only was this purchase unnecessary, but it’s called a BearCat, which is actually a real animal that looks exactly what it sounds like.