Ace Missouri softball pitcher Paige Lowary to transfer

Lowary, who is transferring to Oklahoma, was 25–8 in starts in 2016.
Former Missouri pitcher Paige Lowary throws against Wichita State in 2016. Lowary is now a pitcher for Oklahoma and could potentially face the Tigers in the 2018 NCAA Tournament.

Missouri softball’s ace pitcher, Paige Lowary, announced via Twitter on Friday that she will be transferring to the University of Oklahoma.

Lowary, who was 25–8 as a starter in 2016 with a 3.25 earned run average, is set to be a junior at Oklahoma, the defending NCAA national championship school.

Last year, Lowary won Southeastern Conference pitcher of the week and was named to the USA Softball Women’s Elite Team.

This transfer comes amid an ongoing investigation into Missouri softball coach Ehren Earleywine, who started Lowary six straight games in the NCAA Regional and Super Regional. Many softball players have been critical of the athletic administration's handling of their coach, especially after former Athletic Director Mack Rhoades left for Baylor on Wednesday. Lowary, however, kept fairly quiet.

Only four pitchers remain at Mizzou softball next year as freshman Parker Conrad comes in and sophomore Danielle Baumgartner and seniors Cheyenne Baxter and Tori Finucane return.

Edited by Nancy Coleman | ncoleman@themaneater.com