Crockett arrested on suspicion of marijuana possession

MUPD said its officers arrested Tigers running back Damarea Crockett on Sunday morning.
Freshman Damarea Crockett runs the ball during Missouri's game against Tennessee on Nov. 19 in Knoxville.

Missouri running back Damarea Crockett was arrested on Sunday morning on suspicion of possession of 35 grams or less of marijuana.

MU Police Department Maj. Brian Weimer said officers came across Crockett in a vehicle at about 4:17 a.m. Sunday in the AV-14 parking lot on the east side of campus.

MUPD arrested Crockett and released him on summons, meaning he was not taken into custody.

A Mizzou Athletics spokesman said the athletics department is aware of the incident and is handling it internally.

Crockett and the team had just gotten back from a 63-37 loss to Tennessee in Knoxville, where Crockett rushed for 225 yards, the most ever in a game for a Missouri freshman.

Crockett also broke the Tigers’ season-long freshman rushing record with his 225-yard effort, previously held by Brad Smith in 2002.

Missouri faces Arkansas, which is Crockett’s hometown team, on Friday. His status is unknown but will likely be addressed by Missouri coach Barry Odom in his weekly press conference at 1 p.m. Monday.

Edited by Tyler Kraft | tkraft@themaneater.com