D’Angelo Allen to transfer from Missouri men’s basketball program

With the three signees in Willie Jackson, Mitchell Smith and Reed Nikko, this transfer leaves one open scholarship for the 2016-17 season.
Freshman forward Kevin Puryear (24) rebounds the ball with help from sophomore forward D’Angelo Allen (5) and freshman guard Cullen Vanleer (33) against the Auburn Tigers on Jan. 9, 2016, in Mizzou Arena. Missouri won 76-61, and Allen’s presence on the court help to push the team to their first Southeastern Conference victory.

Missouri sophomore forward D’Angelo Allen will transfer, the program Missouri athletics announced Monday morning.

“D’Angelo Allen has made it known to the Mizzou men’s basketball program his intention to transfer, and we will support his request,” coach Kim Anderson said in the emailed statement. “D’Angelo and I met and he expressed his desire to play a larger role. We agreed he can begin to seek opportunities to achieve his goals elsewhere. We appreciate D’Angelo’s contributions during his time with the program and will work to assist him in any way possible.”

This news comes after much speculation Sunday night after this tweet was sent out:

Allen did not play on Saturday against Texas A&M, the sixth time he did not play in a game all year. Overall, in 54 games at Mizzou, Allen averaged 13.4 minutes per game, 2.8 points, 2.6 rebounds and shot 44.1 percent from the floor.

As it stands now, Missouri currently has nine players returning next year. With the three signees in Willie Jackson, Mitchell Smith and Reed Nikko, this transfer leaves one open scholarship for the 2016-17 season.