Drinkwitz officially new coach after board approves contract

Drinkwitz’s arrival comes after one season coaching Appalachian State.

The University of Missouri Board of Curators unanimously approved Eliah Drinkwitz’s contract Tuesday morning, a board member confirmed, making him the 33rd football coach in university history.

“This is a coach that brings a good combination of creativity and excitement to our football program,” board chair Jon T. Sundvold said in a release. “I’m excited about the future for our student-athletes in the football program. [Athletic director] Jim [Sterk] and his staff made a great choice.”

Terms of the contract will not be released until after the completion of the human resources process, but it reportedly has an annual value of approximately $4 million over six years. When previous coach Barry Odom was fired, he was making approximately $3 million per year.

MU also had to buy Drinkwitz out of his previous contract at Appalachian State, a transaction that cost the university about $1.7 million.

Drinkwitz will officially be introduced as Missouri’s football coach later Tuesday morning at a press conference at 10:45 a.m. CDT in the South End Zone facility at Memorial Stadium.

“I’m excited for the opportunity of a lifetime to be the head football coach at Missouri,” Drinkwitz said. “I know this is the Show-Me State, and I’m fired up to show this state what our football program is going to be about.”

Edited by Emily Leiker | eleiker@themaneater.com