Freshman guard Akira Levy out for the year

Levy was averaging 15.8 minutes per game and 4.8 points per game.
Missouri guard Akira Levy holds the ball at the top of the key as time runs out in the first half of Missouri's 70-48 exhibition win over Missouri Western on Monday, Oct. 30, 2018. Levy, who was a top-70 recruit, is a possible starter for Missouri's 18-19 squad.

Missouri women’s basketball announced Thursday in a press release that freshman guard Akira Levy has a torn an anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus in her right knee and is out for the remainder of the season. The injury occurred in the team’s loss at Auburn on Sunday.

The team did not release a time table for the surgery. “The team is confident Akira will make a full recovery and be back on the court for the 2019-20 season,” according to the release.

Levy was the No. 66 recruit in the nation in ESPN’s class of 2018. She’s averaged the seventh-most minutes per game on the team this season at 15.8. Her career-high in minutes came against Missouri State, when she played 31 minutes.

Levy has played in all 28 games this season, starting in the first four. She was averaging 4.8 points, 2.1 assists and 1.4 rebounds per game.

With freshman Grace Berg transferring early in the year, this leaves Haley Troup as the only active freshman on the team. She is a redshirt freshman, while freshman Brittany Garner is yet to play a minute in a Tiger uniform.

Edited by Adam Cole | acole@themaneater.com