Green-Beckham suspended indefinitely from football team

Pinkel said the sophomore receiver violated team rules.
Missouri coach Gary Pinkel suspended wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham indefinitely Monday. Green-Beckham led the Tigers' receivers in receptions and touchdowns last season. Maneater File Photo

Standout wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham has been suspended indefinitely from the football team for a violation of team policy, coach Gary Pinkel announced Monday.

The suspension is immediate and includes practices and team activities. Green-Beckham, a sophomore, will have access to the Academic Resource Center.

“It’s unfortunate, but it’s the right thing to do for our football program, for the athletic department and also for Dorial,” Pinkel said in a news release. “We have high standards related to the expectations that come along with being a Missouri Tiger, and Dorial has not met those recently.”

Green-Beckham has not been arrested by the Columbia Police Department, spokesman Joe Bernhard said Monday. The department said it could not comment on any ongoing investigation involving Green-Beckham.

The Boone County prosecutor’s office said no charges have been filed against Green-Beckham. The team’s press release did not specify what team policy Green-Beckham violated.

Multiple residents at Brookside Townhomes associated Green-Beckham with a physical altercation that took place at the complex early Sunday morning.

Sophomores Mike Henke and Chris Connor said they heard yelling outside their townhome around 2 a.m. They ran to the street from their unit, and a frantic neighbor told them to call 911.

“He said some guy was hitting a girl,” Connor said.

Another resident, who declined to be named, told The Maneater that Green-Beckham was involved in a fight at her apartment but chose not to comment further.

Late Monday, the Columbia Missourian reported police responded to a reported burglary at the townhomes between 2 and 3 a.m.

Police arrived 15 minutes later after Henke called authorities, he told The Maneater. Others standing outside also called police, Henke and Connor said.

Columbia Police released a public information report Tuesday detailing a burglary involving forced entry at 310 W. Old Plank Road at 2:36 a.m. Sunday. The report lists weapons as hands, fists and feet.

Information identifying a suspect, victim and witnesses was redacted.

It is currently uncertain whether the Brookside incident is related to the suspension. Athletics and police have declined further comment.

Green-Beckham was detained by police in January in Springfield, Mo., while in a car that was carrying a pound of marijuana. That investigation is ongoing. The Greene County prosecutors office was unable to comment Tuesday.

In October 2012, Green-Beckham was arrested on another marijuana possession charge. He served a one-game suspension at the time.

Share: Facebook / Twitter / Google+

Article comments


This item does not have any approved comments yet.

Post a comment

Please provide a full name for all comments. We don't post obscene, offensive or pure hate speech.