Iowa State too much for Tigers

The roller coasterride that is Missouri basketball continued Saturday in Ames, Iowa, with the Tigers' 75-62 loss to the Iowa State Cyclones.

MU (8-6 overall, 1-2 Big 12) led 37-28 at the half, but in a reversal of fortune, the second half was all ISU. The Cyclones (8-7, 1-1) outscored MU 47-25 in the second half to claim the victory.

"We just self-destructed," said coach Norm Stewart.

MUs recent performances have been unexpected, if nothing else. After a 75-69 win against Illinois and an 83-79 victory over then No. 19 Maryland, MU proceeded to lose 111-56 to Kansas State, the worst loss in school history. Before the loss to ISU, the Tigers had downed Texas 91-69.

Part of MU's inconsistency can be attributed to several injuries plaguing the Tigers. Sophomore forward Albert White played only 14 minutes because of a sprained ankle, and freshman guard Brian Grawer played 16 minutes with a deep thigh bruise.

With Grawer and White in limited roles, the foul trouble that hit the Tigers in the second half stung more than usual. When center Monte Hardge fouled out early in the second half, the rebounds the big man left in his absence were quickly grabbed by ISU players.

"The key was Hardge fouling out," said ISU coach Tim Floyd. "The rebounding differential changed after he left."

Forward Kelly Thames led MU with 17 points and 6 rebounds while Iowa State freshman forward Marcus Fizer's 20 points and 6 boards and freshman forward Martin Rancik's 15 points led the Cyclones.

MU returns home for a game tonight against the Oklahoma State Cowboys. Tip-off is at 7 p.m. at the Hearnes Center.