J’den Cox to stay on as assistant wrestling coach for Missouri after he graduates

Cox will wrestle for the Missouri Wrestling Federation while serving as an assistant coach.

Courtesy of USA Wrestling/Tony Rotundo, WrestlersAreWarriors.com

J’den Cox’s career as a wrestler at Missouri has ended, but his career as a coach and professional may just be beginning.

Head wrestling coach Brian Smith announced in a press release Thursday that Cox will be returning to Columbia next fall as a volunteer assistant coach for the 2017-18 season.

“J’den treats the sport of wrestling with great respect and is an amazing student of the sport,” Smith said in the release. “He will be a fantastic coach because of the positivity he brings to the mat and his dedication to helping our program reach its full potential.”

In addition to coaching, Cox will continue to wrestle for the Missouri Wrestling Federation. His next competition will be at the U.S. Freestyle World Team Trials June 9-10 in Lincoln, Nebraska, where he has earned a bye to the 86 kg finals.

Smith said Cox’s presence will also help with recruiting.

“He’s going to be the person I point to when conversing with recruits and say, ‘you can accomplish everything J’den did and more while at Mizzou,’” Smith said in the press release.

Cox is looking forward to being able to continue to work with his current teammates next season, albeit in a different role.

“I’m appreciative of the opportunity to continue my journey with the Mizzou Wrestling program,” Cox said in the press release. “I’m thankful they have given me another door to walk through as a coach. I look forward to being able to work with and continue to train with the great wrestlers in our room.”

With the announcement, it is likely that Cox will be focusing on his wrestling career in the fall and will not play football for Missouri, despite rumors.

Cox will start in his new role on May 15 after he graduates with a degree in psychology.

Edited by Eli Lederman | elederman@themaneater.com