Kim Anderson returns for a third year coaching Missouri men’s basketball

Mack Rhoades: “In the coming days Coach Anderson and I will review the season in greater depth and discuss any suggested changes that could benefit the program moving forward.”
Missouri basketball coach Kim Anderson is introduced in April 2014. When Anderson took the job, he said he was unaware of the investigation the NCAA was conducting into Missouri. On Jan. 13, 2016, that investigation resulted in a self-imposed postseason ban for the 2015-16 season. MANEATER FILE PHOTO

Kim Anderson will remain the men’s basketball coach, Missouri’s athletics department announced Wednesday.

Anderson will return for his third year, something that was uncertain after Mizzou completed its Southeastern Conference-worst 10-21 season. Anderson has also never won a game against a Power Five team on the road.

Overall, Anderson is 19-44 in his two seasons with Missouri.

“Earlier this week I met with Coach Anderson to reaffirm my vision for the program and share with him my expectations for next year,” athletics director Mack Rhoades said in a statement. “No one wants to win more than Coach Anderson. He came into a very challenging situation two years ago and he is passionate about returning his alma mater to greatness. Consistent with our normal end-of-year processes, in the coming days Coach Anderson and I will review the season in greater depth and discuss any suggested changes that could benefit the program moving forward.

“As we turn our attention to next season, we remain fully committed to providing our coaches and student-athletes with the resources and support they need to win at the highest level. I look forward to working with Coach Anderson to re-establish the proud and winning tradition of Mizzou basketball.”

Anderson will return all but one starter (Ryan Rosburg) next season, and has a group of three players signed right now.

“Our goal remains to compete and to win at the highest level and to do so with integrity and class. We will continue to evaluate every aspect of our program and will thoughtfully consider any options we believe can make us better,” Anderson said in a statement. “I look forward to working with Mack, our administration, our coaches, and most importantly our student-athletes to make our program one that our great fans can and should be proud of.”