Lightning delay causes slow start for Missouri in last road game before home opener

The Buffs scored three goals within the first seven minutes of the game, serving the Tigers their first loss of the 2018 season.

Maneater File Photo

In their third consecutive road game of the season, the Missouri Tigers were met by a dominant Colorado team led by junior forward Tatum Barton. The game, which ended more decisively than the Tigers’ past two contests, saw only five shots from the team compared to a staggering 16 by the Buffs.

Barton recorded a hat trick before being subbed out of the game after receiving a yellow card in the 20th minute of the game. Missouri’s Hailey Blanchard also received a yellow card in the second half. Despite both teams being carded, the Tigers had two times as many fouls called against them as the Buffs, racking up a total of 16 for the game.

After the first three goals of the first half, the Tigers’ defense managed to keep the Buffs scoreless, holding them off until the 57th minute.

Junior defenders Anna Frick and Peyton Joseph were the only two Tigers to play all 90 minutes of the contest; nine subs came in for Missouri throughout the game. Senior goalkeeper Kelsey Dossey played 68 minutes and recorded one save against the 12 shots she faced. Redshirt sophomore Mercedes Sapp took Dossey’s place to complete the game.

The loss was not only the Tigers’ first for the season, but was also the first game the Tigers have allowed more than one goal in. No comments made by Missouri players or coaches were included in their press release.

This week, the Tiger’s return home to Audrey J. Walton Soccer Stadium for their first non-exhibition home game against Northwestern (3-0-0) at 6:30 p.m. CST on Thursday, Aug. 30.