Missouri basketball releases 2015-16 non-conference schedule

The Tigers will look to improve on their 6-7 record against non-conference teams last year.
The 2015-2016 non-conference schedule for the MU Tigers Basketball team. Courtesy of Mizzou Athletics' Twitter

Last year, Missouri’s basketball program went 1-6 against non-conference opponents that appeared in the NCAA basketball tournament. This year, they’ll face six of last year’s group of 64 in hopes of turning that record around.

The 2015-16 non-conference schedule for Kim Anderson’s second year on the job was announced Friday afternoon.

"We have once again put together one of the best and most challenging schedules in the country," Anderson said in the news release. "Our non-conference opponents will provide a great test for our young team and hopefully prepare them for the rigors of an always tough Southeastern Conference schedule. Last year, we played one of the top schedules in the country and this one is set to match or exceed that."

Tipping off the season at Mizzou Arena against Wofford and Maryland-Eastern Shore in host games for the CBE Classic, the Tigers’ revamped roster will look to improve upon last year’s 9-23 record.

Here’s a look at the entire non-conference schedule:

Nov. 6: vs. Missouri Western (Exhibition) Nov. 13: vs. Wofford, Mizzou Arena (CBE Hall of Fame Classic) Nov. 15: vs. Maryland-Eastern Shore (CBE Hall of Fame Classic) Nov. 17: at Xavier Nov. 23: vs. Kansas State at 6:30 p.m. on ESPNU (CBE Hall of Fame Classic in Kansas City) Nov. 25: vs. North Carolina or Northwestern (CBE Hall of Fame Classic in Kansas City) Dec. 1: vs. Arkansas State Dec. 4: vs. Northern Illinois Dec. 9: vs. Nebraska-Omaha Dec. 13: at Arizona Dec. 19: vs. North Carolina State Dec. 23: vs. Illinois (neutral site in St. Louis) Dec. 29: vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff Jan. 2: vs. Savannah State

A few games on this docket jump out in particular. Home-and-home matchups in Arizona, Xavier and North Carolina State are high-profile matchups, but the Braggin’ Rights game against Illinois in St. Louis and the matchups with Kansas State and North Carolina/Northwestern in Kansas City will garner recognition across the college basketball landscape.

"We are always looking forward to being able to bring our team to great venues across the state with two games at the Sprint Center in Kansas City and the annual Braggin' Rights game at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis,” Anderson said. “Combined with an overall 18-game home schedule, Tiger fans around Missouri will have many opportunities to see us play."

To this date, times and broadcast information have yet to be released — as well as the SEC schedule — but it’s known that Mizzou will face Arkansas, Ole Miss and Texas A&M twice this upcoming season.