Missouri football announces recruiting haul

The Tigers had 23 players sign a National Letter of Intent.
Coach Gary Pinkel speaks to press representatives about the new recruits for the 2010-2011 football season. Wednesday was National Signing Day, and the team signed players from many states, with the most new recruits coming from Texas.

Missouri football announced a recruiting class of 23 players Wednesday, with most players coming out of Texas and Missouri.

"We're excited about our class," coach Gary Pinkel said at a news conference Wednesday. "I think you hit on the athleticism, hit on the speed which we always recruit. I think we have a lot of quality people in this staff and kids that I think really want to be great football players, graduate from college and help Mizzou win and hopefully take us to higher levels as we continue to go."

The group signed a National Letter of Intent to play for the Tigers. Rivals.com put the class at No. 21 in the country. ESPN.com did not have Missouri's recruiting haul in its top 25.

Of the 23 players committed to Missouri, nine are out of Texas, followed by Missouri, with five. The Tigers signed one recruit per state from eight other states.

Offensive lineman Nick Demien, the No. 1 overall prospect in the state of Missouri according to Rivals.com, is one of the highlights of Missouri's recruiting class. Coming out of Wentzville, Demien stands 6-feet 6-inches tall and weighs 295 pounds.

Another to sign to Missouri is Tyler Gabbert, younger brother of Missouri sophomore quarterback Blaine Gabbert. Tyler Gabbert was one of two quarterback recruits signed to play for Missouri, joining James Franklin of Corinth, Texas. Rivals.com has Franklin as the country's fourth-best dual threat quarterback.

Tyler Gabbert wasn't the only recruit with family ties to a Tiger. Matt Hoch is the younger brother of sophomore offensive lineman Dan Hoch. The younger Hoch played linebacker, running back and tight end in high school. Rivals.com rated Hoch as the No. 3 prospect in the state of Iowa.

Four players are enrolled in classes at the university and are eligible to participate in spring camp: Gabbert, Franklin, defensive back Kenronte Walker and tight end Eric Waters.

With 45 victories, the Tigers have won the third-most games of any Big 12 team in the last five years.

"I think the consistency of winning in our program and also the great results we're having academically with our student athletes make Missouri a place a lot of kids look at now, more so than five, six, seven, eight years ago," Pinkel said.