Missouri football cancels practice amid boycott

Athletic department statement: "Our focus right now is on the health of Jonathan Butler."

Missouri safety Ian Simon (21) walks off the field during the Missouri vs. Vanderbilt game Oct. 24, 2015, at Vanderbilt Stadium in Nashville, Tenn.

UPDATE: Mizzou Athletics released a statement at about 4:30 p.m. Sunday there would be no formal team activities Sunday. "Our focus right now is on the health of Jonathan Butler, the concerns of our student-athletes and working with our community to address this serious issue," the statement read. "After meeting with the team this morning, it is clear they do not plan to return to practice until Jonathan resumes eating." The department will provide further comment Monday afternoon.

The Missouri football team held a private meeting Sunday morning at the Mizzou Athletics Training Complex.

More than 30 black Mizzou football players posed in a picture Saturday night supporting Jonathan Butler, a graduate student on a hunger strike against UM System President Tim Wolfe. The players said they will not participate in team activities until Wolfe resigns.

Media gathered outside of the complex and waited for comments from players as they left. Most, including freshman quarterback Drew Lock and senior center Evan Boehm, did not comment on the meeting.

Senior running back Russell Hansbrough said there would be no practice today. Tight end Jason Reese confirmed Hansbrough’s statement. He also said that there was practice initially scheduled for today.

Reese said the team decided not to discuss the meeting with the media.

“You're not going to hear much from me,” he said. “Everybody knows what's going on.”

Reese said that he loves his team and that practice will not resume until the issue is resolved.

Defensive back Anthony Sherrils tweeted a photo of the Mizzou football team saying the coaching staff supports the boycotting players.

Alec Lewis contributed to this report.

GET SOCIAL