Missouri football gains two, loses two commits as National Signing Day looms

The change in recruits come with National Signing Day just two days away.
Coach Barry Odom talks to Kendall Blanton on the bench.

The recruiting marathon is not letting up for the Missouri football coaching staff with two days left until National Signing Day.

The 24-hour window from Sunday afternoon to Monday afternoon consisted of both addition and subtraction for the Tigers’ 2017 recruiting class. Missouri entered Sunday with three wide receiver commits in the 2017 class. As of Monday evening, just one remains.

The Tigers currently have 22 commits for the 2017 class.

It started with Jafar Armstrong switching his commitment to Notre Dame on Sunday. Armstrong, a three-star recruit from Kansas City, committed to the Tigers in June. He told the Kansas City Star “I know I’m signing with Mizzou, so I’m just going to leave it there” on Wednesday. A weekend visit to South Bend, Indiana, changed his mind, however.

Armstrong was not the only three-star wide receiver to decommit from Mizzou after a weekend visit. Elijah Gardiner visited Ohio State and announced he flipped his commitment to the Buckeyes on Monday afternoon.

The two decommits leave the Tigers with just one wide receiver, four-star recruit DaRon Davis, in the class of 2017 headed into signing day.

Although Missouri lost two commits in its 2017 class, it also added two players in that same 24 hours.

Walter Palmore, a junior college defensive tackle, announced his commitment to the Tigers. Palmore, a three-star defensive tackle, also received offers from Arizona State and Georgia, among others.

The Tigers also picked up a commitment from Kobie Whiteside, a two-star defensive tackle, according to Rivals. His high school coach, Brian Randle, confirmed the commitment to PowerMizzou.com

The Maneater will have up-to-the-minute coverage on National Signing Day. Check back here for more.

Edited by Eli Lederman | elederman@themaneater.com