Missouri football picks up two recruits on National Signing Day

The Tigers rank No. 34 in the country, which is their highest ranking since 2015.
Designed by Corey Hadfield

After nearly a week of controversy and discussions regarding the NCAA sanctions’ impact on the Missouri football team, the Tigers received some positive recruiting news.

Sci Martin and Z’Core Brooks signed their letters of intent on National Signing Day for the Missouri football team on Feb. 6. The Tigers also welcomed junior college transfer Angel Matute, who announced his commitment via Twitter on Jan. 21.

With these additions, Missouri’s 2019 class is at 25 players.

Matute attended Rancho Cucamonga High School in California. The 6-foot-4-inch offensive tackle is transferring from Mt. San Antonio Community College in Walnut, California. He is the fourth offensive lineman to sign with the Tigers for the class of 2019, joining Jack Buford, Luke Griffin and Thalen Robinson up front.

Martin, a junior college transfer from East Mississippi Community College, began his collegiate career at LSU. He played in five total games for LSU as a true freshman and recorded two tackles against Jacksonville State. East Mississippi Community College is regarded as one of the top junior college programs in the nation, and the school was featured on Netflix’s “Last Chance U” for two seasons. The outside linebacker chose Missouri over Arkansas and Kansas.

Brooks, a defensive end from Dallas, is listed as a two-star recruit. He chose Missouri over Arkansas and Purdue, among others.

Ten signees have already enrolled and started taking classes in the spring semester. The Tigers’ recruiting class ranks No. 34 in the country and No. 13 in the SEC, the highest national rank for Missouri since Drew Lock, Emanuel Hall and Terry Beckner Jr. headlined the class of 2015.

Edited by Emily Leiker | eleiker@themaneater.com