Missouri snubbed for NCAA Tournament, five SEC teams in

Despite a 9-5-5 record, Missouri does not receive tournament bid.
Missouri Tigers defender Candace Johnson (23) high-fives her teammates in preparation for a game at Audrey J. Walton Stadium. Led by SEC Coach of the Year Bryan Blitz, Missouri enters the SEC tournament as the No. 2 seed. Courtesy of MU Athletics

After a season that saw Missouri finish with its highest ever seeding for Southeastern Conference Championships, the Tigers were snubbed in their bid for the NCAA Tournament.

Missouri’s postseason hopes took a major blow after the team suffered a quarterfinal defeat to Louisiana State in the SEC Championships.

It turned out that the loss was fatal for Missouri’s tournament hopes. LSU moved ahead of Missouri in RPI rankings and received a bid along with five other SEC teams. Missouri had a record of 2-1-3 against the tournament bound teams.

Missouri ends the season with a final record of 9-5-5. The team will be losing five seniors, including midfielder Reagan Russell, who was tied for the team lead with four goals, and defender Candace Johnson. Johnson was Missouri’s only player to be named First Team All-SEC.

The Tigers will be returning eight of their starters in the 2016 season. This includes two of the defenders and both goalkeepers who were part of the top ranked defense in the SEC and junior midfielder Melanie Donaldson who was named Second Team All-SEC.