Missouri tennis closes out its fall season with dominant invitational

Mizzou clinched 23 wins at the Big Green Invitational in New Hampshire, and Amina Ismail went undefeated in both singles and doubles.
Brianna Lashway competes at a Missouri tennis meet. Courtesy of Mizzou Athletics

Missouri tennis recorded a dominant 23-12 record this weekend at the Big Green Invitational in Hanover, New Hampshire.

Juniors Brianna Lashway and Amina Ismail were paired up for the doubles tournament. The duo had a great start after defeating Purdue’s nationally ranked team of Nicole Robinson and Andjela Djokovic 6-4 at the No. 1 doubles position. Racking up two more victories, Lashway and Ismail went undefeated throughout the tournament, securing a total of three doubles wins.

Senior Cassidy Spearman and freshman Tate Schroeder also pulled off an undefeated record in doubles play. The pairing defeated competitive duos from Purdue, Dartmouth and Penn State’s teams at the No. 2 doubles position.

Senior Kadi Fauble claimed her first singles win of the season after defeating Sunday Swett of Yale in straight sets, 7-6 (5), 6-2. Fauble also went on to clinch another singles victory against Yale’s Caroline Lynch, solidifying a 2-0 mark in singles play for the weekend.

After her three singles matches, freshman Mackenzy Middlebrooks improved her singles record on the season to 7-3 after sealing wins against Chuyang Guan of Dartmouth and Lynch of Yale. In doubles action, Middlebrooks reached the 10-victory mark with junior Clare Raley after defeating Lynch and Ree Ree Li of Yale with 6-2.

Ismail came out with a flawless performance for Missouri, posting a 6-0 overall record for the tournament. Ismail now finishes the fall season with a team best 15-6 overall record.

In singles, Lashway leads the team with a record of 8-2, and Middlebrooks is right behind her with seven singles victories for the season.

With the Big Green Invitational complete, Missouri concludes their fall portion of the season on a solid note.

The Tigers will pick up their 2017 spring season Jan. 29 at the ITA Kick-off Classic in Berkeley, California.

Edited by Peter Baugh | pbaugh@themaneater.com