Missouri track and field finishes regular season at Drake Relays

The distance medley relay was the highlight of a mixed bag of performances in Des Moines.
Freshman distance runner Mikayla Reed competes in the women's 5000m run at the Drake Relays on April 25, 2019. Courtesy of Mizzou Athletics

The Missouri track and field team traveled to Des Moines, Iowa this past weekend to compete in the Drake Relays. The Tigers delivered up-and-down performances throughout the weekend, posting middling results in a crowded field of competitors.

Senior throwers Jordan McClendon and Becky Keating fared well in the hammer throw, notching respective third and sixth place finishes. Redshirt junior Patrick Kunza hurled the hammer 59.14 meters, earning him a 10th place finish.

Senior Will Fife faced stiff competition in the field, placing 19th in discus. Fife’s 48.24 meter throw fell short of expectations, after slinging the discus almost 2 meters further in his previous outing at the Tom Botts Invitational.

The Tigers entered sophomore Nylo Clarke and junior Caulin Graves in the 100 meter dash, but both came short of reaching the podium. Clarke ran a 10.54 second sprint, garnering him a fourth place finish, while Graves came in fifth at 10.57 seconds.

Redshirt freshman Jayson Ashford was the star of the day for the Missouri runners, as he helped secure a second place finish in the distance medley relay. Ashford ran his 400m split in a blistering 46.06 seconds—the third-fastest lap of the track in Mizzou history.

After wrapping up its regular season in Des Moines, Missouri will compete in the SEC Outdoor Championships on May 9-11 in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Edited by Emily Leiker | eleiker@themaneater.com