Mizzou baseball drops midweek clash against Southeast Missouri State

The loss to coach Steve Bieser’s former team is Missouri’s third in four games.
Maneater File Photo

Missouri baseball lost its second consecutive game and third of four games Tuesday afternoon, falling to the Southeast Missouri State Redhawks.

The 6-5 defeat to Missouri coach Steve Bieser’s former squad also marks the second consecutive one-run loss for the Tigers.

The Redhawks got out to an early two-run lead in the second inning after Mizzou junior starting pitcher Bryce Montes De Oca surrendered three walks that SEMO converted into two runs.

The Tigers were able to take a 3-2 lead in the bottom of the fourth, when sophomore Brian Sharp knocked in two runs off of a double. This lead was short-lived for Mizzou though, as SEMO scored four runs in the next half-inning, shifting the score in their favor to 6-3.

Mizzou rallied and chipped away at the lead, scoring two runs in the seventh. However, the Tigers ran out of time, and their comeback fell short. The Tigers are now 21-4 overall, while the Redhawks improve to 12-10.

Mizzou looks ahead to a weekend home series with Southeastern Conference foe Florida. The series with the Gators begins at 6:30 p.m. Friday at Taylor Stadium in Columbia.

Edited by Eli Lederman | elederman@themaneater.com