Mizzou women’s basketball cruises past Coppin State in first round of Cal Classic

The Tigers took a first-quarter lead and didn’t look back, leading for 38 minutes en route to a 73-50 victory.

After a controversial foul called on Missouri freshman Cierra Porter, Coach Robin Pingeton aggressively addresses the referee while the ref reports Porter's number for the foul.

From start to finish, Missouri women's basketball had control over its matchup against Coppin State on Friday and dominated the Eagles for a 73-50 win in the first round of the Cal Classic in Berkeley, California.

The Tigers rolled past the Eagles with just two players scoring in double figures — Sophie Cunningham had 15 points and Cierra Porter tacked on 12 along with eight rebounds — and a lot of help from the bench, which contributed 33 points. Hannah Schuchts and Jordan Chavis each had eight points for Mizzou, the highest individual point totals coming off the bench.

As a team, Mizzou shot 44 percent from the field (28 of 63) and went only 4 of 19 from beyond the 3-point line. However, the Tigers made the most of their opponent’s mistakes and played efficient basketball, creating 20 points off of Coppin State’s 14 turnovers and scoring 13 second-chance points on 17 offensive rebounds. Missouri also went 13 of 17 from the free-throw line.

The Tigers spent almost the entirety of the game in the lead. After jumping ahead 4-3 with 9:12 left in the first quarter, the Tigers did not surrender the lead for the rest of the game.

The Tigers will play Cal in the tournament’s championship game at 4 p.m. CT on Saturday in Berkeley.

Edited by Eli Lederman |elederman@themaneater.com