MU coaches remember OSU players

Despite all the emotions, the hype and the energy, Missouri coach Quin Snyder was reminded of what is important in life. Snyder, along with Tiger assistant coaches and staff, wore orange and black ribbons in memory of the plane crash that took the lives of 10 people, two of whom were Oklahoma State basketball players.

When asked about his team's victory over Kansas, Snyder was quick to point out the significance of sports in life.

"The magnitude of this (victory) is absolutely nothing," Snyder said. "We talked about this before the game. We appreciate every opportunity to go out and play the game."

Before tip-off, a moment of silence was observed in memory of the Oklahoma State staff and players.

"This really hits close to home, and it makes you appreciate even more how precious our time is here," senior guard Brian Grawer said. "It seems so unfair."

The Tigers will play in Stillwater, Okla., on Saturday.

KU's 18-0 run déjà vu for Tigers

In the past three MU losses, the Tigers' opponents had pulled ahead due to some big runs, and on Monday, the Jayhawks gave the Tigers a big scare when they pulled together an 18-0 run in the second half.

After trailing by 17, the Jayhawks quickly pulled out their run to go on top of the Tigers by one. After bouncing the lead back and forth between teams, Grawer's back-to-back 3-pointers helped gain Tiger momentum and a lead that MU would not relinquish for the rest of the game.

"These things are going to happen," Snyder said. "Maybe not 18-0, but runs are going to come. It helps when you can just put your foot down and stop them."

Last Wednesday, against Nebraska, the Tigers gave up 15 consecutive points in four-and-a-half minutes to lose the game. Against Virginia, Missouri was up by one point with four minutes left to play when the Cavaliers rolled on with 13 straight points. Against Kansas State, the Wildcats went 16-0 to bury the Tigers early in the first half.

MU plays the odds

Going into a game against the No. 3 team in the nation, history seems to be a toss-up when determining a winner. Of the six losses that Missouri has suffered this season, four have been against teams ranked in the Top 25. Only one victory had come against a ranked team on Jan. 13, when they beat Iowa State, a team that was ranked No. 17 at the time.

On a more positive note for the Tigers, this victory also marks the fifth straight time that a Top 10 Kansas team has come to the Hearnes Center and left with a loss.

On the neutral side, the Tigers are 9-9 all-time on ESPN Big Monday games. Last year, the Tigers dropped their only Big Monday game to No. 10 Oklahoma State.