MU loses upset bid to Iowa State, 68-67

The Missouri women's basketball team came close to upsetting another ranked Big 12 opponent Wednesday night in Ames, Iowa.

No. 7 Iowa State escaped with a 68-67 victory over the Tigers (11-5, 2-3 Big 12) by hitting a layup and two free throws in the final minute.

Junior Natalie Bright put MU up by one point with 43 seconds left. But the Cyclones (14-1, 5-0) answered with a layup by Tracy Gahan, who scored 15 points for Iowa State, and foul shots by Gahan and Lindsey Wilson, who led the Cyclones with 21 points.

MU senior Amanda Lassiter recorded 21 points, seven rebounds and four blocks in the loss. Tracy Franklin added 11 points while Marlena Williams, who fouled out with seven minutes left in the game and picked up a technical foul, scored 12.

Last week, the Tigers fell to Colorado, 98-90, and defeated Texas A&M, 69-61.

The Buffaloes (12-3, 3-1) scored six points from the foul line in the final minute to boost them to the victory. Lassiter led MU with 28 points and Williams recorded a career-high 24 points.

The Tigers used an early 14-3 lead to knock off the Aggies (11-5, 1-4). Freshman Evan Unrau recorded her fourth double-double of the season, scoring 16 points and adding 20 rebounds. Williams scored 17 points while Lassiter notched 14 points, six rebounds and three blocks.

On Jan. 6, the Tigers upset then-No. 12 Texas, 68-52, in Columbia. MU, which is undefeated at home this season, was trailing 32-24 at halftime.

Senior Tracy Franklin and sophomore Kerensa Barr hit back-to-back three-pointers to spark an eight-point run to start the second half. Franklin then tied the game with a jumper and Missouri went on runs of six, eight and five points to seal the victory.

Lassiter led MU past the Longhorns (14-5, 2-3) with 22 points and 10 rebounds. Unrau recorded 16 points and 16 rebounds. For her efforts, Unrau was named the Big 12 Rookie of the Week after the Texas game.

MU dropped its first conference game of the season, 82-64, to then-No. 13 Texas Tech on Jan. 3.

Williams and Lassiter got in foul trouble early in the game, and the Raiders (14-2, 5-0) took advantage when the two seniors had to sit out.

The Tigers had a five-game win streak snapped by a 92-74 loss to Illinois before Christmas. MU rebounded, defeating Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 88-64, to take a 9-2 record into the start of conference play.

Missouri will look to even its Big 12 record at 3-3 Saturday against Kansas State. MU will host the Wildcats (11-5, 1-4) at 3 p.m. at the Hearnes Center.