News and Notes: Missouri under investigation, nonrevenue sports shine

Karissa Schweizer has earned multiple awards after winning the NCAA cross-country title.

Redshirt junior Melanie Crow, 1, serves the ball during the home match facing the Auburn tigers. Mizzou lost the first game, but came back to win the next three games for the match win.

While students have classes off during the week of Thanksgiving, Mizzou Athletics has hardly had a break.

Here are some headlines you may have missed while preparing your turkeys:

Academic violation allegations

Missouri has received allegations of academic violations, Mizzou Athletics announced in a statement Tuesday night. The allegations involve a former tutor, and the Tigers are working with the NCAA to gather more information.

“While we recognize that there will be many questions regarding this situation, these investigations take time to ensure that we do it the right way,” Director of Athletics Jim Sterk said in a statement. “As always, our mission is to uphold the highest standard of academic performance and ensure the proper conduct with all of our programs.”

The Kansas City Star and St. Louis Post Dispatch reported that former tutor Yolanda Kumar posted a statement on Facebook discussing the alleged academic fraud.

“I had taken and assisted with entrance assessment, completed entire courses, and I been present to provide assistance with online assessments,” her post said. “It was encouraged, promoted, and supported by at least two Academic Coordinators for athletes in revenue generating sports, however, the wide spread desperation to succeed by other student athletes at the bottom of an inverted pyramid of the organization’s construct cross multiple sports.”

The Maneater was not able to view the Facebook post, but the Star confirmed its validity. The Maneater reached out to Kumar on Wednesday.

Schweizer rakes in honors

After winning the NCAA cross-country title on Saturday, junior Karissa Schweizer has earned multiple awards.

On Tuesday, Schweizer was named the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Women’s National Athlete of the Year. On Wednesday, she received even more recognition, earning USA Track and Field Athlete of the Week honors.

Swimming and diving ranked No. 2

Missouri men’s swimming and diving was ranked No. 2 in the Nov. 23 CSCAA rankings. The Tigers, who were previously ranked No. 23, are now the top Southeastern Conference team in the poll.

Missouri’s jump in the poll comes after a strong showing at the Mizzou Invitational. Senior Andrew Sansoucie posted the country’s fastest time in the 100-yard butterfly, and senior Fabian Schwingenschlogl set the top national mark in the 100-yard breaststroke.

The Tiger women moved up from No. 18 to No. 14 in the poll.

Volleyball team earns SEC recognition

Wayne Kreklow was named SEC Coach of the Year on Wednesday, and three Missouri players earned conference honors. Senior Carly Kan, junior Melanie Crow and sophomore Alyssa Munlyn were named to the all-SEC team.

Edited by George Roberson | groberson@themaneater.com