No. 13 Mizzou gymnastics suffers a close loss visiting No. 3 Florida

The Tigers earned their sixth-highest team score in program history.

Maneater File Photo

No. 13 Missouri gymnastics traveled to Gainesville, Florida, to compete against No. 3 Florida on Friday. Although the Tigers took a loss to the Gators 197.750-196.750, the team recorded its sixth-highest team score in program history.

The last time the Tigers earned a team total this high was against Illinois State in 2010, with a total of 196.875. The score also stands as the program’s second-best road meet score since 2004.

Bars were the first rotation for the meet, and the Tigers dominated with a total score of 49.175, their second-best score on the bars this season. Juniors Shauna Miller and Becca Schugel each earned team-high scores of 9.875, a season high for both. Sophomore Brooke Kelly earned a 9.850, a season high for her as well, and freshman Aspen Tucker finished the event with a 9.800.

In the vault, the Tigers continued to perform well, earning a 49.225 in the event. Ward earned her fifth score of a 9.900 or higher, junior Kennedi Harris and Miller both followed right behind with scores of 9.850, a season-high score for Miller. Freshman Madeleine Huber finished with a 9.825, and senior Angie Kern and Tucker both tallied a 9.800.

Missouri earned a team score of 49.175 for the floor event in the third rotation. Harris put up a solid score of 9.925 to tie her season-best score, grabbing her sixth 9.900 or higher score for the floor this season. Schugel also shined in her floor routine, earning a career-best 9.900. Huber added a 9.800 to finish out the event for the Tigers.

The fourth and final rotation was on the beam, where the Tigers scored a 49.175, tying for the program's highest score this year. Ward claimed a career-best 9.950, her fourth score of 9.900 or higher this season. Sophomore Allison Bower and Kelly both earned a 9.850, a career-best score for Bower. To conclude the meet, Tucker earned a 9.800.

For their next meet, the Tigers will return to Hearnes Center to host No. 14 Auburn. The meet will begin at 7 p.m. on March 3.

Edited by Eli Lederman | elederman@themaneater.com