Rush"s three overcomes sloppy game

One basket.

That's all it took to finalize Missouri's victory over Texas Tech Saturday afternoon at the Hearnes Center. Sophomore Kareem Rush's three-pointer with just 30 seconds left on the clock gave the Tigers the 66-64 win.

The bucket overcame several key Missouri mistakes throughout the course of the game. Freshman center Arthur Johnson shot just 1-for-7, and fellow big men Tajudeen Soyoye and Travon Bryant combined for just 11 points.

The lack of inside scoring stemmed from a lack of rebounding. The Tigers were again out-rebounded by their opponent.

"We've got to finish inside," Missouri coach Quin Snyder said. "They are capable of doing that. We are still getting knocked back."

Snyder attributed part of the problem to lack of maturation on the floor, especially the 17-year old Bryant.

"(The players) need to take responsibility for who they are," he said. "When you do that, then you can start working on changing. "

Rush was the game's high scorer, finishing with 23 points. Junior guard Jamal Brown, who ended the game with 18 points, led the Red Raiders. Brown was crucial in a second half run that eventually led Tech to the lead. Brown scored eight consecutive points for the Raiders.

The victory improved the Tigers' record to 13-6 and 4-2 in the Big 12. It also ended MU's three-game losing streak, serving as a springboard going into Monday's match-up against No. 4 Kansas. The Jayhawks bring their 17-1 record to the Hearnes Center for an 8 p.m. tipoff.

Whereas youth and inexperience plagued Missouri against Texas Tech, it might just help the Tigers against the Jayhawks. At least freshman point guard Wesley Stokes hopes so.

Stokes admitted that a lack of knowledge of much more than Kansas' potential will allow Missouri do what they do best.

"It will make us play with more emotion," he said. "We will come out of the gates ready to play."

Kansas defeated Kansas State, 92-66, Saturday in its prequel to the MU/KU match-up. K-State beat the Tigers 80-59 earlier this season.

Even though Monday will mark Johnson's first game against KU, he already knows some important information about the rivalry. The older guys are keeping him well informed.

"What I know about it is that it is a battle every time," Johnson said. "What they told me is that you have to be ready to go out there and fight."