Schweizer repeats as cross-country midwest regional champion, leads women to fourth-place finish

Karissa Schweizer paced the women’s field with a time of 19:50.9 to defend her regional title while Thomas George led the men’s side with a 15th-place finish.

Courtesy of Mizzou Athletics

Senior Karissa Schweizer continued her postseason dominance Friday morning by winning her second-straight midwest regional title in Ames, Iowa.

Schweizer paced the 6K race with a time of 19:50.9, which was over 20 seconds faster than second-place finisher Sharon Lokedi from Kansas. Schweizer’s time was also faster than her time of 19:54.4 at last year’s regionals.

Schweizer and redshirt senior Megan Cunningham, who finished 12th, both earned All-Midwest Regional honors for the Tigers and led the team to a fourth-place finish at the event.

After being forced to drop out of the Southeastern Conference championship on Oct. 27 due to a dislocated shoulder, Cunningham broke her personal record of 20:50.9 from the Pre-National Invitational with a time of 20:29.9.

Friday marked the second-straight top-four regional finish for the women’s team after it won the regional championship last season.

With the fourth-place finish, Missouri will not receive an automatic bid to the national championships on Nov. 18 and will have to wait and see if it receives an at-large berth.

Unofficial calculations have the Tigers in the field, but official at-large berths won’t be announced until Saturday.

As a repeat regional champion, Schweizer will qualify individually to the national championships regardless.

A breakout performer for the women was redshirt sophomore Sophia Racette. Racette was the third-place runner on the Tigers with her 64th-place finish.

Racette’s time of 21:22.6 was 38 seconds faster than her time of 22:00.6 at the SEC championship two weeks ago, where she placed sixth on the women’s team and 53rd overall.

Behind Racette was senior Jamie Kempfer. The returning All-American finished 67th with a time of 21:25.4 in her second full race for the Tigers this season.

On the men’s side, redshirt sophomore Thomas George earned All-Midwest Regional honors with a 15th-place finish with a time of 29:32.6 in the 10K race. George led the Tigers to a ninth-place team finish in their final race of the season.

Following George were redshirt senior Marc Dubrick and redshirt junior Evan Schulte. Dubrick ended his career with a 38th-place finish and a time of 30:00.2 while Schulte finished 56th with a time of 30:16.3.

Next up, Schweizer will look to defend her national title at the NCAA National championship on Nov. 18 at E.P. “Tom” Sawyer State Park in Louisville, Kentucky.

Edited by Eli Lederman | elederman@themaneater.com