Seven Missouri swimmers earn invites to NCAA Women’s Championships

The qualifiers include U.S. National Team member Hannah Stevens.
The University of Missouri men's team, second from the right, competes in the 200-yard freestyle relay Feb. 17 in the Mizzou Aquatic Center during the Southeastern Conference Championships. MU was given the opportunity to host this year's SEC Swimming and Diving Championships. maneater File Photo

A program-high seven Missouri women earned invitations to the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships. The meet will begin March 16 in Atlanta.

A look at the Missouri qualifiers:

Hannah Stevens, sophomore Stevens qualified for the meet in the 100- and 200-yard backstroke. Last season, she earned All-America honors in the 100-yard backstroke, placing 14th. She was also a member of the Tigers’ fourth-place 400-yard medley relay team and seventh-place 200-yard medley relay team. Stevens is a member of the U.S. National Team.

Abby Duncan, senior Duncan was invited to the 2016 NCAA Championships in the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke. She is seeded in the top eight in both events and is also eligible to swim the 200-yard individual medley. The senior placed 11th in the 200-yard breaststroke and 13th in the 100-yard race at nationals last season. Like Stevens, she was a member of the Tigers’ 400-yard medley relay team.

Nadine Laemmler, junior In her first season with the Tigers, Laemmler qualified in the 100- and 200-yard backstroke. The Western Kentucky transfer is also eligible to compete in the 200-yard individual medley at NCAA Championships. Last year, she was 34th in the 200-yard backstroke and 37th in the 100-yard race.

Katharine Ross, junior Like Duncan, Ross is primarily a breaststroker. She qualified for nationals in the 100- and 200- yard breaststroke as well as the 200-yard individual medley. At Southeastern Conference Championships, Ross became the Tigers’ first ever individual to win a swimming championship, touching first in the the 100-yard breaststroke. In 2015, she was a member of the Tigers All-America 200-yard medley relay team last year, and she also placed 14th in the 100-yard breaststroke.

Anna Patterson, senior Patterson was invited to the meet in the 50-yard freestyle and is eligible to swim the 100-yard butterfly and 100-yard freestyle. She earned All-America honors last season as a member of the Tigers 200- and 400-yard medley relays.

Sharli Brady, sophomore Brady qualified for NCAA Championships in the 400-yard individual medley and 200-yard butterfly. She was an honorable mention All-American as a freshman, finishing 12th in the 400-yard individual medley and 13th in the 200-yard butterfly.

Kira Zubar, sophomore Zubar will make her NCAA Championship debut in 2016. The Minnesota native qualified in the 500-yard freestyle. She is also eligible to swim the 200- and 1,650-yard freestyle.

Edited by Alec Lewis | alewis@themaneater.com