Stegall earns preseason accolades

Baseball America chose Missouri shortstop/relief pitcher Ryan Stegall as the Big 12 Conference preseason Player of the Year on Tuesday. Stegall, a junior, had also received the same honor earlier in the year from Collegiate Baseball.

Stegall was also named to the preseason all-conference team and was named the Big 12's fourth-best professional prospect. Stegall, who led the Tigers in eight categories last season, was selected the conference's best pure hitter and the league's best defensive shortstop.

Baseball America has picked the Tigers to finish eighth in the Big 12.

Distance runner named Runner of the Week

The Big 12 Conference named Missouri junior distance runner Ann Marie Brooks Big 12 Conference female Runner of the Week on Monday. It is the first honor of the indoor season for the Tigers.

Brooks ran 4:50.10 in the mile at the Tiger Invitational last Friday. She has the best time in the conference in the mile and won the event by a full seven seconds. Her time was only one second off the provisional qualifying time for the national indoor meet.

The Tiger women, currently ranked No. 23 in the nation, host the MU Triangular meet at 5:45 p.m. today at the Hearnes Center.

MU women travel to Lincoln

The Missouri women's basketball team (11-5, 3-3) will head to Lincoln to face the Nebraska Cornhuskers (9-10, 1-5) on Saturday.

The Tigers have not played since their comeback victory last Saturday against Kansas State. NU has dropped five straight, all in conference play. Last season, MU lost both of its two games against the Cornhuskers, including an 80-63 loss in Lincoln.

Gymnastics hosts Huskers

The Missouri gymnastics team is set to host the Boone County National Bank Tiger-Husker Showdown on Sunday against No. 8 Nebraska.

The Tigers are 1-1 on the season after defeating Southeast Missouri State, 191.15-187.85, in their home opener last Sunday.

There are a few connections on the Tiger coaching staff to the 'Huskers. Before becoming MU's head coach, Rob Drass was an assistant at NU for eight seasons. In those eight seasons, the Huskers won six league titles. One of Drass' assistants, Marshall Nelson, was a three-time NCAA Champion for the Husker men's team during his career.

The meet is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. at the Hearnes Center.

Women's swimming goes to Iowa, Nebraska

The Missouri women's swimming and diving team will be in Iowa City, Iowa tonight for a dual meet with the Iowa Hawkeyes. Following tonight's meet, the Tigers will travel to Lincoln for a Saturday afternoon tilt with Nebraska at 2 p.m.

The Tigers enter tonight with a 5-2 dual meet record. Missouri took care of two teams at home this past weekend with a 133.5-108.5 victory last Friday over Iowa State and a 162-76 defeat of Southwest Missouri State on Saturday.